Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Stitching On Your Scrapbook Pages

Hi everyone! It's Robbie again today to share another project with the Graceful Season Collection. The last layout I shared was very feminine with ribbon and lots of flowers. In that post, I mention the versatility of this collection and today I'll show you a very different look with the same collection. Today, I took the look in a masculine direction with not a bow or a flower in sight.

Robbie Herring Epic Story Scrapbook Page for 3 Birds Studio 01

For this layout about my son's senior design airplane, I found that the black and cream bold paper was the perfect choice. I really love how this paper runs corner to corner and I wanted to continue that throughout my page. You will see in the photo that I chose to stitch floss with some of the colors in the photos.

DESIGNER TIP | STITCHING ON YOUR SCRAPBOOK PAGES

Use a ruler to line the stitch piercing spots. The stripes that are already on the background make this very easy! Also, when you do the stitching, keep it simple. I only added piercing places at each end, instead of making true stitches along each line. Same look... little effort! When I do this technique, I use all 6 strands of the floss.

Robbie Herring Epic Story Scrapbook Page for 3 Birds Studio 02

I pulled the circle piece from the Quilled Cardmaking Kit. I thought it would make the perfect frame for the picture of the plane in flight. I made sure to line it up with the stripes going in the same direction as the background paper and the stitching.

Robbie Herring Epic Story Scrapbook Page for 3 Birds Studio 03

I mentioned before that I like to raise a picture up to make it more visible when using lots of embellishing. In this case with a 3 photo layout, I used the same technique to help make the group photo be the focal point.

DESIGNER TIP | DEAD SPACE

Don't be afraid to use 'dead space' on your photos to add embellishments or titles. You can see in this photo that I did the title over the photos. It is also a good way to cover up or distract from things in the photo that you don't like.

To finish off the page, I added embellishments and journaling strips. I was sure to add some of the embellishments in the same direction as all the other elements, but to also add the journal strips and a couple of embellishments horizontally. Everything in the same direction can make it lose impact.

Robbie Herring Epic Story Scrapbook Page for 3 Birds Studio 04

EPIC STORY by Robbie Herring

SUPPLIES | Graceful Season 12 x 12 Premium Paper Pad,  Graceful Season Sticky Sparkly Glitter & Foil Set, Graceful Season Quilled Cardmaking Kit.

Thanks so much for stopping by to see my project today!

1 comment: