Thursday, February 13, 2014

Using Items Beyond Their Intended Purpose and Other Great Tips

Hi everyone! It's Robbie Herring, here today to share my first project with the Graceful Season Collection. I know from seeing the other designer's project, you already know how versatile this collection is and how it's works with everyone's individual styles. Just like the other ladies, I'm loving this collection and all the possibilities it offers!

In addition to showing you my first 3 Birds Studio layout, I wanted to share a few simple tips that I often use when designing my pages.

Love Scrapbook Page by Robbie Herring for 3 Birds Studio

DESIGNER TIP | USING ITEMS BEYOND THEIR INTENDED PURPOSE

Notice the little squares of paper that I built my design around. These are intended to be journaling cards, but I often use journaling cards instead of patterned paper for design work. These have lots of variation in pattern, which makes them perfect for adding interest to a page.

Love Scrapbook Page by Robbie Herring for 3 Birds Studio detail 1

DESIGNER TIP | GROUNDING THE DESIGN

Especially when using soft colors, I try to make sure that there is something included in my design that is dark or heavy. In this case, I did both. My layout is bordered with the navy blue paper, which also serves as a frame. For those of you that are new to my work, you might not know that I'm a ribbon addict. You will find ribbon on most of my projects. I chose this ribbon because it matched the darkest coral color in the patterned paper. By placing it where I did, it did double duty by adding weight and helping draw the eye down the page to the photo.

Love Scrapbook Page by Robbie Herring for 3 Birds Studio detail 2

DESIGNER TIP | FOCUS ON THE PHOTO

It can be easy to lose the focus on the photo with all the paper work and embellishments around and on top of it. Adding the frame, helps to draw you into the photo, but one of the tricks that I have been using for years is to raise the photo off the page. I am always a little surprised at what a difference it can make. What I use to raise the photo varies, but foam dots or foam tape is a really quick and easy way to accomplish it.

Love Scrapbook Page by Robbie Herring for 3 Birds Studio detail 3

LOVE by Robbie Herring

SUPPLIES | Graceful Season 12 x 12 Premium Paper Pad, Graceful Season 6 x 6 Premium Paper Pad, Graceful Season Sticky Sparkly Glitter & Foil Set, Graceful Season 3D Embellishment Kit, 7/8" Coral Ribbon

Thanks for dropping by to see my layouts. I hope that the tips that I shared are something that you can use soon on your projects.

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet layout! Love the bow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. […] It’s Robbie again today to share another project with the Graceful Season Collection. The last layout I shared was very feminine with ribbon and lots of flowers. In that post, I mention the versatility […]

    ReplyDelete