Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Happy Birthday Window Box Card

Hello 3 Birds Fans! It's Juliana here from 17turtles. I'm so excited to share my Happy Birthday Window Box Card with you today! I love the precut window cards that are part of the Graceful Season Quilled Cardmaking Kit. I think it is so fun to have an opening on the front of the card that gives you a peek at what is inside the card! This card was a little time consuming, but I wanted to create something extra special for someone extra special in my life.

I used a couple of mixed media techniques on this card. Mixed media simply means to incorporate multiple kinds of art supplies on one project. This card was made using acrylic paint, ink, modeling paste, and paper.

Happy Birthday Window Box Quilled Flower Card by Juliana Michaels for 3 Birds Studio using the Graceful Season Collection available on HSN.com

The idea for this card came to me when I discovered a plain chipboard window box shape in my stash. I wondered if it would be the right size to go with one of cards in the Graceful Season Quilled Cardmaking Kit. It wasn't exactly the right size, but it was close enough so that I only had to trim about an 1/8" off around the opening.

I began by painting the chipboard piece with white acrylic paint and letting it dry. Next, I applied a layer of weathered wood crackle medium and let it dry. Then I added another layer of white acyrlic paint. Once this was dry, I lightly sponged a little walnut stain distress ink help make it look more like weathered wood. I then took a scrap of plastic packaging and trimmed it to fit the backside of the window. I wanted to make the window look like it had glass filling the panes.

The next step to decorating my window box was to create a variety of quilled flowers using the die cut flower shapes from the Quilled Cardmaking Kit. I wanted to "fill" the box with flowers!

Happy Birthday Window Box Quilled Flower Card by Juliana Michaels for 3 Birds Studio using the Graceful Season Collection available on HSN.com

DESIGNER TIP | Create your own leaves by hand cutting them from green cardstock and then scoring them down the middle before you adhere them to the back side of the flowers.

Once the flowers and leaves were complete, I attached them to the front of the painted chipboard window box.

Happy Birthday Window Box Quilled Flower Card by Juliana Michaels for 3 Birds Studio using the Graceful Season Collection available on HSN.com

I created the brick wall, using a brick wall stencil and modeling paste. I positioned the stencil on the card and then applied modeling paste with a spatula over the stencil. As you can see, I did not cover the entire card surface with the modeling paste. Set the card to the side to allow it to dry. Once the modeling paste is dry, attach the chipboard window box and flowers.

DESIGNER TIP | Once you are finished applying modeling paste, remove the stencil and wash the stencil off with water to prevent the modeling paste from drying on the stencil and possibly ruining your stencil.

Happy Birthday Window Box Quilled Flower Card by Juliana Michaels for 3 Birds Studio using the Graceful Season Collection available on HSN.com

I completed the card by selecting a couple of the die cut shapes, including a Happy Birthday sentiment, and adhered them to the inside of the card making sure to center them behind the window so that you can get a peek of them before you open the card.

Happy Birthday Window Box Quilled Flower Card by Juliana Michaels for 3 Birds Studio using the Graceful Season Collection available on HSN.comHAPPY BIRTHDAY WINDOW BOX QUILLED FLOWERS CARD by Juliana Michaels

SUPPLIES | Graceful Season Quilled Cardmaking Kit

I hope you enjoyed the card I shared with you today. Even though it may be time consuming to create, the recipient of this card will know that a whole lot of love went into making it!

HUGS!
Juliana

3 comments:

  1. What a cute idea for the card kit! Love it, Juliana! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh, REALLY??? Love that window box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Such a cute card. Such talent you have, thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete