Thursday, March 20, 2014

Quilled Cupcake Pinterest Inspiration

Hopefully you have enjoyed our week of Pinterest Inspiration here on the 3 Birds Studio Blog! Our final Pinterest project is such a sweet treat. Designer Katrina Hunt was inspired by a quilled cupcake image she found to create her own quilled cupcake birthday card. It's so yummy, you're going to want to make one too!




Pinterest….so full of ideas, but where to start? It’s Katrina on the blog here today to share my Pinterest inspiration project. I also have a few steps on how to recreate my project!

Quilled Happy Birthday Cupcake Card by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds Studio using the Graceful Season Quilled CardmakingThis pin is where I got my inspiration for my card. I had decided I wanted to do a quilling project, so I just typed that into my search box and this happened to pop up.

Pinterest Cupcake Katrina Hunt

IMAGE CREDIT | photochic <---> Pinterest


If you aren’t sure what quilling looks like, well here is a shot of me starting on one of the coils for the cupcake wrapper.

I glued two 12 inch strips of the yellow quilling paper that comes in the Graceful Seasons Quilled Cardmaking kit and then rolled to the end.

Quilled Birthday Cupcake Tutorial by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds Studio 1Note: All quilled pieces on the card are done with two of the 12 inch strips glued together.

Once rolled I then placed the yellow coils into the size 3 hole on the template that is included in the kit. I dabbed a little spot of glue on the end of the strip before I placed the coil in the template. By using the template, all your coils will be approximately the same size. You will have to fuss with them a little to get them the way you want them, just be patient. Once I had them the way I wanted, I brushed them with a white school glue thinned down with water, so they would hold their shape.

Quilled Birthday Cupcake Tutorial by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds Studio 2After I got the 12 coils for the wrapper rolled, I figured out exactly how I wanted the front of my card to look. I really liked this card base, but the window was precut. I just took a piece of paper from the 6x6 Graceful Season Mini Pad, added some ribbon and covered the window up.

Quilled Birthday Cupcake Tutorial by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds Studio 3Here is the wrapper up close after being finished. I also used some of the die cuts from the kit for my sentiment. They were perfect!

Quilled Happy Birthday Cupcake Card by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds Studio

I then set to work on the “icing” on the cupcake. My original plan was to follow my pin and just do coils. But I accidentally pinched the first coil when I took it out of the template and then I decided to change to the teardrop shape. The pink strips were done the same, except I used the number 2 on the template.

Quilled Birthday Cupcake Tutorial by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds Studio 4

I laid the pink coils out, moved them around and put them together like puzzle pieces, until I was happy with the look. I then decided to add a candle for fun. I just rolled a small piece of paper into a tube. And then I cut a small piece of quilling strip to make the flame. I just added some glue on the end and placed the ends down in the tube.

Quilled Birthday Cupcake Tutorial by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds Studio 5 Quilled Birthday Cupcake Tutorial by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds Studio 6

Here you can see the candle close up. I added some additional quilled pieces on top just to create some dimension to the icing.

Quilled Happy Birthday Cupcake Card by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds Studio

A quick little punched border strip and my card was complete! Here is the complete cupcake close up.

Quilled Happy Birthday Cupcake Card by Katrina Hunt for 3 Birds StudioQUILLED BIRTHDAY CUPCAKE CARD by Katrina Hunt

SUPPLIES | Graceful Season Quilled Cardmaking Kit; Graceful Season 6 x 6 Mini Paper Pad 

Thanks for stopping by the 3 Birds Design blog today! I have another cupcake themed project over on my personal blog - Paper Scissors and Glue. I'd love for you to stop by and check it out!

Katrina Hunt

0 comments:

Post a Comment