Sunday, March 9, 2014

St. Patrick's Day Home Decor

St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner and if you're looking for a way to add a touch of green to your home, then we know you'll love this Shamrock Frame by Designer Jana Eubank.




Hi Everyone! Jana Eubank here. My 7-year-old daughter was making the observation the other day that our home needed more decorations for St. Patrick’s Day. I love making seasonal décor for my home using my scrapbook supplies! So, I pulled out the Graceful Season collection and got to work.

Shamrock Frame by Jana Eubank for 3 Birds Studio  using the Graceful Season Collection

I wanted to create a framed art piece, but didn’t have a frame here at home. Instead of running out to the store to buy one, I created my own using white cardstock and my digital die cutting machine. Next, I cut various green, white, and yellow patterned papers from the Graceful Season 12 x 12 Premium Paper pad to decorate the flat surfaces of the frame.

Shamrock Frame by Jana Eubank for 3 Birds Studio  using the Graceful Season Collection

I chose a shamrock digital cut file to go inside of my frame. I loved the way the banner in the image seems to wrap around the shamrock. I cut the banner portion using the wood grain patterned paper from the 12 x 12 Premium Paper Pad. I had previously cut out the large floral element that was in the corner of this sheet for another project and then saved the rest of the page to use on another project. I am glad I did. It worked perfectly here!

Next, I cut the shamrock from the green scattered floral paper found in the 6 x 6 Premium Paper Pad. For a bit of sparkle, I cut the “Lucky” letters and shamrock’s shadow layer using the green foil paper from the 6 x 6 Foil Paper Pad. For lots of dimension, adhere the shape together using foam squares.

I thought it would be fun to make the shamrock “float” in the middle of the frame, as opposed to adhering it to the back panel of the frame. I added large glue dots to just the ends of the banner’s tails and then pressed them to the inner sides of the frame. The rest of the image isn’t tacked down in any way, allowing it to float above the back panel of the frame.

Shamrock Frame by Jana Eubank for 3 Birds Studio  using the Graceful Season Collection

DESIGNER TIP | Make the most of your paper by strategically placing your images on the cutting mat. For example, I knew that the green foil shadow layer would mostly be covered by the patterned paper shamrock on top of it. Because of this, I was able to use my digital die cutter’s software to place the “Lucky” letters inside of the shamrock. This way, I was able to fit all of the foil pieces onto one sheet of 6 x 6 paper.

I paired a wide, green ribbon with a sparkly, green net ribbon and tied them around the bottom of the frame. I again used my digital die cutting machine to create the white daisy accenting the ribbon knot. The inner portion of the flower was cut using the yellow triangle patterned paper found in the 6 x 6 Premium Paper Pad.

Shamrock Frame by Jana Eubank for 3 Birds Studio  using the Graceful Season Collection

ST PATRICK'S DAY FRAME by Jana Eubank

SUPPLIES | Graceful Season 12 x 12 Premium Paper Pad, Graceful Season 6 x 6 Premium Paper Pad, Graceful Season 6 x 6 Foil Paper Pad, Bazzill Cardstock Stack

I love my little St. Patrick’s Day frame! It is the perfect piece to add a bit of holiday fun to our home. What holiday decorations have you made using your craft supplies?

Jana Eubank

3 comments:

  1. […] the full project and to read more about how I put it together, come say hello on my post at the 3 Birds Blog here. It was so much fun to make and has brought a touch of happy green to our entry way side […]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Jana! The frame is fabulous and love the dimension of it! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! You're very talented, Jana.

    ReplyDelete